Day at the Zoo Cruels Under-19 Cricketer Fraser-McGurk

  • Posted By:

Yes, but should we not be concerned about the monkey?

That was our initial thought when we learned that 17-year-old Jake Fraser-McGurk was sent home from Under-19 World Cup cricket in South Africa.

Fraser-McGurk was on an outing to a South African nature reserve in Kimberly.

Australia were in pursuit of a fourth title, but a loss to India on Tuesday ended that dream.

In that match, Fraser-McGurk was run-out first ball, even though he did not face a ball, as Australia came to bat to chase 234.

According to Cricket Australia, “It was deemed necessary for Fraser-McGurk to return to Australia for precautionary treatment within seven days of the accident.”

Does the codebook mandate seven days, rather than six or eight? CA sports science and medicine manager Alex Kountouris explained that yes, seven days is the recommendation.

“This involves the player returning to Australia for the treatment required within the recommended seven days of the incident taking place,” Kountorsis explained.

Did South Africa quarantine the primate, or did they give it a Proteas kit?

This is an interesting variation of the ‘man-bites-dog’ story, but Fraser McGurk should be okay, other than perhaps being a target for hazing for the remainder of his cricketing days, perhaps further.

Cricket Australia’s medical department does not think there was any truecause for concern, so sending Fraser-McGurk home seems more a measure of extra caution, rather than concern that he might come back and infect the country with some bizarre virus.

“I guess it serves me right for getting too close to the animal enclosure,” said Fraser-McGurk.“That’s a lesson learned. I look forward to completing the treatment and getting back on the field as soon as possible.”

It sounds amusing on the surface, but we were once bitten and scratched by a feral cat and when we showed up at the clinic, it was a Code Red situation.

We came away from the encounter with heavily bandaged hands, which needless to say, made certain bodily tasks impossible to performwithout assistance. The feral cat was tested for rabies and subsequently destroyed.

Fraser-McGurk expressed chagrin.

“You never like to be leaving the boys with the tournament still in progress. But I’m confident we have the team to get the job done in the final two matches.”