Sportsbet Bookmaker Review
Sportsbet - Largest Bookmaker for Sports Betting in Australia
Sportsbet makes the claim of being the largest bookmaker in Australia, adding the modifying phrase of “corporate bookmaker,” so it is conceivable that there is a larger bookmaker that does not happen to be a corporate entity. Join Sportsbet Today
The company began in 1993 as a small bookmaker located in Darwin. As the nation’s first licensed bookmaking company, it led the way for the huge growth spurt in Australia’s betting industry.
Sportsbet (sportsbet.com.au) underwent a substantial expansion in 2005 as the shift from actual bookies to phone and online wagering was gaining momentum. The expansion added 242 new employees to the eight existing ones, pumping up the local economy as it grew.
Changes in its advertising strategy helped its growth. Signing a deal with Seven and Ten, as well as the 2008 ruling by the High Court to expand the range of its advertising beyond the Northern Territory, gave it an expanded customer base.
Its heavy media presence and its frequent promotions have pushed it to its position as a leading force in the Australian betting market.
Owner Paddy Power, an Irish bookmaker, began his involvement with Sportsbet in 2009, purchasing a majority position at first and buying the balance of the company in 2011. During this time, it acquired its competitor, Mark Read’s International All Sports Ltd.
It survived a few legal bumps in the road to become the nation’s largest corporate bookmaker in 2012. Its admission to Parliament that it paid commissions for referrals, as well as losing its case to install betting terminals in Victoria’s clubs and pubs didn’t stop its forward progress to top the country in its size and scope.
In February of 2016, Paddy Power shifted his ownership to his holding company, Paddy Power Betfair.
Diverse Markets Available on Sportsbet
As of this moment, Sportsbet is involved in every competitive market in Australia. Headquartered in Melbourne, it offers approximately 30 different sports markets and a variety of novelties, such as current affairs, financials, music and politics, under the direction of its CEO, Cormac Barry.
Australian sport fans will delight in Sportsbet’s selection. AFL, NRL, and Super Rugby enthusiasts will find as many as 40 markets for every fixture.
International sport fans, too, will love the selection. A wide range of American team sports, the major international football clubs—nearly 100 of them—as well as lesser-known sports, such as cycling, golf, handball, volleyball, and others. Sportsbet offers betting on quite a few even more-obscure sports as well—Gaelic football, hunting, snooker, surfing and more. Check out the Sportsbet menu for your favourites.What about Its Racing Products?
Diversity of markets is all well and good, but as this is a thoroughbred racing site, here are some details on how Sportsbet operates in that market and why it might be a good consideration for an online bookmaking service for racing punters.
Sportsbet Racing Products
In addition to Thoroughbred racing, Sportsbet offers greyhound and harness racing bets.
Sportsbet horse racing products. Among those is a strong representation from Australian tracks. New Zealand, Asian, and American races also feature prominently among their selections. In addition to Daily Doubles and Running Doubles on certain tracks, Country Best, City Best, Top Fluc, Fixed Odds, SP, and Quinellas, they offer a wide variety of other options.
The details are fairly simple, but space limitations do not permit anything beyond a brief synopsis here. Complete details can be found on the Sportsbet website.
- Sportsbet Black Book: Don't miss that eye catcher ever again with BlackBook.
- Tope Tote Plus: Winning wagers are paid out according to the best possible dividend from the three TAB agencies or the best starting price. This guarantees the best tote return. Races covered are major country and metro racing all across Australia every day, all week long.
- Multi Bet Feature: Allows Win, Place and Each-Way bets to be combined.
- Double: Requires the selection of the winner from two Sportsbet nominated events from one meeting.
- Trebles: Punters who select the winning runners of three consecutive nominated races receive the dividend.
- Quadrella: Pick the winner in four races designated by Sportsbet.
- Lucky Loser: Pick any horse to run unplaced from the designated race card.
- First Four: Chance to win big by picking the first four finishers. Two variations exist: Standout and Box First Four.
- Place Card: Pick four horses to place in four races.
- Super 6: Great for longshot lovers. Pick the winner in six consecutive races.
- Exotics: Essentially the standard fare of all online bookmakers.
- Flexibet: Determine a fixed stake on exotics and multi-bets to earn a percentage of the dividends.
- 365Daily Racing Special: These fixed-odds daily specials nominate a race every day. Bettors can find the race using the ‘Money Back Special’ icon on the site’s racing page before they place their bet. A maximum refund of $100.00 applies.
New to Sportsbet: Multi Builder
Sportsbet introduces Multi Builder. An easy way to get your Multi on.
Multis are where you get big profits for a small outlay, plus they reward knowledge, expertise and guts. At Sportsbet, they know you love a multi bet. That is why they designed Multi Builder—so it makes it easier for you to place Multi Bets. Multi Builder is a very simple, easy and fast way to get on solid four-leg EPL multi or a 20 odd-leg cross-sport multi and all other Multis in between. And, the best thing is, all this can be viewed on one screen! Going to and from matches and betting markets is a thing of the past. You can now get it done in one process. Click Here for more information.
Sportsbet Odds: The Details
Sportsbet is very competitive amongst online bookmakers in regard to odds. There are five different options available. Join Sportsbet Today
- City Best Plus: Bets placed with this selection for Win and Each-Way wagers receive the best-declared dividend from the Australian TABs or Starting Price. This is restricted to wagers placed online and for races taking place in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney.
- Fixed Odds: Paid according to the odds quoted at the time of the bet. No need to worry about major money coming in at the last and plunging the odds.
- Country Best: Best possible dividend for Win, Place, and Each-Way wagers according to the Victoria and New South Wales TABs.
- Top Fluc: Paid according to the top bookmaker’s odds per specific runner. Only available for the cities named above and subject to certain time restrictions.
- Starting Price: Dividend declared by the top on-course bookmaker at the close of betting prior to the jump.
Other Benefits of Sportsbet
Sportsbet offers a wide range of services, one being multi builder bets. One thing some racing punters will appreciate is the offerings for various races that are conducted on foreign soil. Wagers can be placed on races in Hong Kong, New Zealand, South Africa, and England. Visit australian freebets.com.au.
These bets can be either phone or online wagers. Those who really like to have in-depth information ahead of making their selections will appreciate the free Black Book service. This service can even supply notifications via email or SMS in advance when a favourite horse is scheduled to run.
Sportsbet also provides an extensive offering of historical information, the type of thing that might come in handy when trying to decide if a certain horse will do well, maybe better than its price would suggest, under certain track conditions or with a certain jockey steering.
These are both of an ongoing and a one-off nature, so it is advisable to check the website regularly in order to take best advantage. One that seems very popular with Sportsbet clients is the Spring Tipping Competition. Bookmaker money back specials are no longer available.
Of course, Sportsbet does permit in-play betting. There are times when this is limited to telephone betting and there are other regulations that must be accounted for, but there is little to compare with the ability to adjust a wager once a picture of the outcome begins to emerge. Sportsbet Million Dollar Tipping Competition.
Sportsbet Special Features
- No transaction fees: For domestic transactions, Sportsbet waives transaction fees. For international electronic transfers, the company charges $15.00.
- No dormant account fees: Sportsbet doesn’t charge punters who bet sporadically, making it possible for occasional bettors to participate in the action.
- Currencies accepted: AUD, EUR, GBP, HKD, NZD, SGD, and USD. Note, however, that punters located in the EU, Hong Kong, and the US cannot utilise the service within their borders, though their currencies are accepted for transactions.
- Interface language: English
- Odds format: Decimal
- Minimum bets: Online punters can place bets as small as $0.01. By phone, the minimum bet is $50.00 (the total amount during one phone call).
- Maximum payout: $500,000.00 daily
- Requirements for deposit turnovers: 1x
- Bookmaker’s margin: Sportsbet’s bookmaker margin, 5.6%, is a bit higher than the national median of 5.2%. For futures markets, however, it well outperforms the national median at 14.7%, compared to 16.2% nationally.
- Verifying identity: Punters can verify their identity online quickly if they use eDentiti or Veda Advantage. Those using credit cards can only make three deposits of up to $2,000.00 before they need to send Sportsbet a copy of their card’s front and back sides to activate the card fully.
Sportsbet’s Website and Mobile Presence
Like other bookmakers, Sportsbet has adopted the mobile revolution that sees many punters relying on their mobile devices for wagering purposes. In fact, its user-friendly mobile interface is one of the factors that make this bookmaker so popular among the betting community.
Punters can deposit their funds, place bets, and view their recent betting history, all while they’re mobile.
Mobile applications for the iPhone, iPad, Android devices and others are available free of charge. BlackBerry and other mobile phone users can use the mobile version of the Sportsbet website to access it with their mobile phones.
Information such as special offers, next to jump and results are readily available in an eye-pleasing and easy-to-use format.
The main Sportsbet website and mobile applications are constantly being improved based on feedback from members. They are quite simple and intuitive. Even someone completely new to punting will find it as simple as checking or sending an email or browsing a website.
The betting slip is clear and convenient and helps prevent attempting wagers that might run afoul of rules and regulations. Join Sportsbet Today
- Interface overall design: With its user-friendly three-column design, Sportsbet attracts new punters to choose them over its competitors. It lists sports in the left-hand column, odds and markets in the centre column, and the betting slip in the right-hand column.
- Shortcuts: Sportsbet provides shortcuts to punters’ most popular races and other sports with its ‘My Links’ box, located at the top of the left-hand column. On the right-hand column, the website displays trending multi-bet selections.
- Markets navigation: When users click on the name of their chosen sport, the page refreshes to display the sport’s submarkets, which you’ll see in the centre column and the navigation menu at the top of the page. When you click on a team sport, you’ll see a drop-down menu in the centre column from which you can choose the league you want. Selecting the league will take you to a list of futures markets, with upcoming events listed below.
- Odds displays: For each event, you’ll see markets for winning margins, line score, total score, and head-to-head matchups. These, of course, depend on the sport. If an event will be shown on Australian TV, Sportsbet will display the channel’s icon. It will also highlight the number of other markets on the right-hand side of the event. If you click that link, the site will display the entire range of markets for the event.
- Betting slip navigation: Reviewers praise Sportsbet for its easy-to-use betting slip. As you add bets, the slip will display on the top of the other content in the right-hand column. You can, however, hide it from view when you don’t want to see it. When you move the cursor over the icon for each selection, it will display the bet details, including the maximum stake amount it will accept. When you input your wager amount, the feature will display the total stake and your estimated returns. Although this feature doesn’t support flexi-betting, it does support both multi-betting options, as well as exotic multi options.
- Integration of racing and other sports sections: Sportsbet has integrated the racing section with the sports section so you can easily combine bets in exotic multis and regular multis.
Sportsbet accepts deposits from credit or debit cards, PayPal, Skrill (Moneybookers), POLi, bank transfers, BPay, and cheque.
The minimum deposit allowed is $5.00.
Availability of deposits varies according to the method selected, but one thing that most people agree on is that Sportsbet has an excellent support team that is available online and by telephone.
Sportsbet gives punters several options to withdraw their winnings. They include PayPal, bank transfers, and Skrill (Moneybookers).
Australia-based members who have a verified account can no longer apply for credit with Sportsbet.
Since the passage of the Interactive Gambling Act 3, Australians cannot participate in online live sports betting. They must place a phone call to bet on live events.
Customers who have funds in their account can access live sports broadcasts online. A wide range of sports is available: basketball, cricket, football, horse racing, tennis, and much more.
To see the live streaming events that will be available, go to the live betting section. There you’ll see a list of the upcoming events that Sportsbet will stream. The live streaming service is free.
One of the most exciting features that make Sportsbet Australia’s current favourite is their frequent use of competitions. Never one to scrimp on prizes, punters love to take their chances on these fun events. Their most popular competition is the Million Dollar Tipping competition.
There is one of these events for the AFL and another one for the NRL. Sportsbet gives away more than $1 million in cash during the season. Top tipsters in each round can win up to $10,000.00. The season’s finest tipsters can win a huge sum, $100,000.00. Tipsters who finish in the top 500 have a chance to win $100.00.
To sign up for this popular event, just visit the ‘Specials and Comps’ page. Click on the ‘Competitions’ tab and test your luck.
Sportsbet’s Amazing Customer Support Team
One of the factors that keep Sportsbet at the top of Australia’s bookmaking industry is its terrific customer support. They offer outstanding service through a variety of communication channels.
- Free phone support: This service is available Monday through Saturday from 8:00 in the morning until 11:00 in the evening. Call 1800 990 907 for service.
- Live chat: You can access instant help from Sportsbet’s customer support team through the live chat feature on their website.
- Email: Send an email to [email protected] if you need to send a screenshot or need other help that you can’t access through phone support or live chat.
- Twitter: Sportsbet is responsive to tweets as well as emails. Tweet at them at @sportsbetcomau.
- Snail-mail: Contact Sportsbet’s support team at their postal address: GPO Box 4755, Melbourne, Victoria 3001.
- Free Self-help guides: On its website, Sportsbet provides customer guides and FAQs that can help their customers solve most common problems.
Sportsbet’s Commitment to Responsible Gambling
Sportsbet offers its customers a written guide that details strategies to help them ensure they stay in control. Customers can limit their deposit to a certain amount. If they need to take even more stringent control over their gambling, customers can opt for self-exclusion, an option that blocks their access to their account. Additionally, the company offers its customers budgeting tips and tips on choosing gambling alternatives.
How to Get in on the Sportsbet Action
Visit the Sportsbet website to open an account, receive prompt answers to any inquiries and learn why this online bookmaker has earned the position it enjoys in the crowded field of online bookmakers.
Here are the details: To place a bet with Sportsbet, you have to create your account. Sportsbet’s membership process is easy to use, fast, and will have you ready to place your bet in a short amount of time.
- First, go to Sportsbet. You’ll see several links saying ‘join now’. Click on one of them and you’ll see the registration page.
- Fill out the form with your personal information, which includes the usual name, birthdate, physical address, email address, and phone number. Prompts will ask you to select a username, your password, and security question. If you have a ‘Refer a Friend’ code, a prompt will ask you to enter it. During the process, there is a ‘Help’ tab near the bottom. This will connect you with the live support team via chat.
- After you’ve finished filling out the form, click the ‘Register’ button. You can then deposit funds into your account. You can also set deposit limits at this time. After you deposit your funds, you can start betting. If you live outside Australia, though, you’ll have to turn over your winnings five times before you can withdraw funds.
Sportsbet Wrap-up: Key Takeaways
- Dependable, established bookmaking firm
- Frequent, high-value promotions
- Super-low turnover requirements
- Incredible help platform on the website
- Website has easy-to-navigate search feature
- Great customer support
- Multi-betting support
- Low online and phone bets
- A wide range of popular withdrawal and deposit options
- Website easy to use for even beginning punters
- Huge range of betting selections